Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Cold weather recap...

I love cold weather, so when I saw high temperatures in the 30's, I was excited:)  We've had some pretty fun days the past week and a half, despite not getting the anticipated snow we were wanting (ICE is not as fun for sure!) and Emma catching a bad cold.

After Bible Study on Wednesday, we had lunch with Ms. Jane - Emma adores the whole Mitchell family, as do I:)




I picked her up from school one afternoon and she had drawn the most awesome picture - "you, me, and daddy!"  For the record....I am the brown person in the picture, and daddy is pink!?!?!
I just love watching her develop skills and creativity - it is so neat to see her draw and do more than scribbles.



I took her to school for her Valentine's party on Friday, and Brooklyn came by to say hello!  




Here is Emma handing a Valentine to Aaron...I love the awkwardness!



Emma brought chips to the party, so she handed them out to each kid.



Then, she played with her friends for a few minutes.  I love watching her interact in the classroom.  




Emma and Miss Jordan, one of her teachers.



Hugs all around!



After the party, I took Emma to my parents because they were keeping her for the night so Brent and I could go to a party.  Emma had been a challenge all day - really whiny and short tempered (it turns out she was getting a bad cold so that explained it).  I came home and sat on the couch BY MYSELF.   I didn't even want to get ready for the party, I was so relaxed.  But I eventually showered and got dressed.



Our party was at the Rickhouse - an amazing new event space and soon to be distillery that our friends own.  We adore the Kulenics and were so happy to celebrate Daniel turning 40!



My handsome date:)



We danced and had the best time - I miss these friends being next door, but so glad we still get together!



The next morning, Brent and I laid on the couch and watched like 4 episodes of Parenthood - we recently started it on Netflix and I love it!  It was heavenly not to watch Dora or any other animated mindless kids' show.  I usually feel guilty about not being a "mom" non-stop.  But I really was fine - no guilt at all!  Brent had a moment where he felt like we should go get her because he felt bad, and I was like "no, I'm good right here, thanks."  I definitely don't get away from Emma that much (unless I am working...which does not count!), so I really enjoyed it.  We went to get Emma around lunchtime and the poor thing was running a fever.  She was also still pretty moody...see below.  In this particular incident, Emma was upset because Swerve did not want her to hug him (shocker), and he kept running away from her.  #firstworldproblems



So we stayed in and made a fire that night, and Brent cooked us steaks on the grill.  I was extremely grateful we had a break from Emma earlier that day because she really was a handful.  Granted, she was running a fever for most of the weekend.  But, who are these sick kids who nap on the couch all day?  Mine is certainly pitiful looking, but demonic in behavior. 

 Sunday was Valentine's and we opted no to go to church since Emma was sick and coughing all the time.  My conscious wouldn't let me put her in Children's church and I was sure she would bother the whole sanctuary with her coughing or whining.  So, we went to Saxapahaw for lunch, in hopes that she'd fall asleep on the way there or back.  Brent and I love country drives, so we were excited.  The General Store was super crowded, but the food was great, and Emma loved dancing at the Ballroom with her favorite Valentine:)







Monday turned out to be a snow/ice day, so I stayed home with Emma.  Since she was sick and tired, we did a lot of lounging.  We did manage to have like 47 tea parties though....at which point I was ready to sub in some wine for the tea and maybe some real cake.  It was a rough day staying indoors - it was too icy to go anywhere and walking was treacherous.  I hate being inside all day - it drives me crazy.  But we managed, and Emma turned the corner and is feeling better (and acting better) - and I have never been so happy to come to work - or at least leave the front porch!





We have a low key week ahead - and then next week, we are headed to the mountains with Emma!  Prayers for cold and snow there - we are hoping to teach Emma how to ski:)



No comments:

Post a Comment