Thursday, August 17, 2017

Sllllleeeeppppp

I had big plans to do a recap of our awesome mountain trip this week, but the first night we returned home, Merritt had one of the worst nights she's ever had.  She's never been a great sleeper...super inconsistent all the time.  But Monday night, she would only sleep for about 15-30 minutes then wake up wailing.  We are blaming her teeth and a ferocious cold she managed to pick up.  I literally had to hold her sleeping and even then, she would wrestle me a lot and was super uncomfortable.  We tried Benadryl and Tylenol, but neither helped.  I think the Tylenol may have helped on one of her 1 hour stretches she got in the early morning hours of Tuesday.  I was a zombie all day Tuesday, and so was Brent.  While he doesn't get up with her like I do, he's still awake and of course concerned.  The irony is, Merritt slept pretty good while we were away:( 

Sleep is a challenge for us.  Neither Brent or I are much for staying up.  We both like fairly early bedtimes and like to get going in the mornings.  When I am able to get up before the kids, my day just goes so much better.  I miss this time.  Brent likes to workout in the mornings too, and it's so good for him (physically and emotionally).  This stage in life is just hard and I know it will pass.....I keep telling myself that.  We have a few things to work on (nursing to sleep, comfort nursing, the Merlin suit), but I don't know where to start.  I want to get a good night's rest before I throw in a change that could mean even less sleep.  I also have pretty bad anxiety at night - there are a lot of nights where our first time up is between 10-11....right when I close my eyes to fall asleep.  I sometimes fear letting my guard down to sleep!!!  How stupid is that.  Night time rolls around and my stress automatically goes up...because I have no idea when I will be up again, or how often.  I literally go straight to bed after Merritt is down.  I miss watching TV, getting chores done, or even crafting.  Sorry...just having my own pity party over here.

I'm also coming to the conclusion that Merritt is a wimp:)  One little sniffle and she just doesn't sleep well.  So when I act all crazy and don't want your sick kid around mine, don't take it personally!  I just value sleep and sanity and all those good things:)  But I promise, I love you!!

Tuesday night, I was only up 6 times, and then last night, only 3 times.  I see a pattern.  We will be back to normal by the weekend, right?!?!?!  So....if you see us this week.....please forgive the fact that we look and literally feel like death!!  Happy slumbers to all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment