Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Thanks for the tag, Courtney! I always tell my students that if you can't think of a topic to write on, write about yourself - there's no research involved and let's face it - people LOVE to talk about themselves:)
So, here goes.....7 facts about me.....I admit I borrowed some of these from a Facebook tag a few years ago on 25 random things. I will try and be original, as not to overlap too much in case you want to read those facts too:)
1. I am petrified of leaving the house on vacations. Ask my neighbors, I call them constantly to make sure my dog and cats are still alive! I even went as far as posting sticking notes on all the light switches I wanted turned on and off, during the appropriate times. "Neighbor Neil" had way too much patience, and I can't believe he put up with that! I leave for a 4 day trip to Vermont tomorrow, and so far...I am doing ok. Many thanks to Daniel and Kate for taking such good care of our animals!
2. I have a problem with accessories - scarves, jewelry, etc... Perhaps I will post a picture of my bathroom counter, and all my jewels.....and maybe my closet door with all my scarves displayed. My friends and neighbors have often joked that Brent will one day "open up shop" and sell off my wares:(
3. I watch the Young and the Restless....every day. I DVR it, so I AM available between the hours of 4 and 5pm..in case you think I skip work for such a pathetic reason! I am hooked, but I admit that I could probably get by only watching Mondays and Fridays...the rest of the days are just "fillers" (as Brent affectionately calls them, while asking me to fast forward through those parts!) I also watch the Martha Stewart Show, Modern Family, and This Old House. For some reason, I really dislike Reality shows. I find they just make me angry. (edit - I recently discovered I have a hidden fascination with Teen Mom 2 and Toddlers in Tiaras - what. the. heck. These shows make me feel soooo much better about myself when I am in a bad mood. Please, please, please knock me upside the head if I EVER act like them.)
4. I would love to move to another state for a brief period of time..just to see what it's like. I have only had 3 residences in my whole life - my home in Chapel Hill (where my parents still reside), my college dorms, and the house I currently live in. Some places up for consideration - anywhere in New England, western Virginia, Colorado or Montana, coastal North Carolina, or the Asheville area. Now, if only I could convince Brent!
5. I love music, and I love it LOUD. If anyone has ever lived near me, you know I like to blare my tunes while washing the car or doing yard work. Brent always tells me to turn it down - I'm like.."why?? everyone should enjoy this song like I am!" This may be why I am a phenomenal car rider (that, and growing up always driving up and down the east coast for skiing or visiting family). I don't really like to chat in the car, even for short distances - I love to pop in a CD, or the Ipod, and just roll....my old standbys are bluegrass (AKUS, Alecia Nugent, Donna Hughes, Melonie Cannon), and Jason Aldean. But I will occasionally throw in a little of Windham Hill collection or my "Island" playlist with some Buffet and Kenny Chesney. And yes, that loud music you hear IS coming from the girl in the Jetta behind you - don't judge.
6. I am pretty conservative, politically speaking. And I know I am going out on a limb here..but I don't think this is a secret to anyone. Nevertheless, I have learned that no matter what your views or beliefs, it is imperative that you display them with humility and kindness. There have been many times that I wish I had done this. Forcing your opinion down someone's throat does not get your point across, it only makes them think they are even more right! I am also proud to have friends that do not share the same views as I, and I learn something new every day from them - most importantly, that we are all humans, with emotions, and should always treat each other with compassion, period.
7. I love food. It's not a comfort or emotional thing, I just love the taste of food. I love cooking it, smelling it, and devouring it. I don't deny myself much, which is why I would FAIL miserably at any diet plans. I also believe it is a sin to cut out any food groups - please, let's keep the food pyramid in tact, and perhaps change the fats, oils, and sweets category from "use sparingly" to 1-2 servings!! When I crave something, I go out and get it, or a good substitute for it. I think this will be a HUGE problem when I am pregnant (pun intended!). My mom did Weight Watchers several years ago and lost over 40 pounds - she is my hero, as is everyone else who has mastered self-control. We don't do this often (much to my dismay), but I also love going out to eat. My friend, Corrie, and I just discovered Watts' Grocery in Durham, and happened to stumble there for lunch during Restaurant week. I am a sucker for local places with cozy atmospheres and clean food, which is why I love Asheville so much. Our recent trip there centered around food - no joke. We planned everything around where we were eating - it was awesome.
So there you have it...fun facts about me! I hope the rest of my blog friends will take the challenge - I will be checking your new posts religiously until I see them:)